DVD Movie Review: Emperors New Groove
Hilarious comedy rules in Disney's Emperor's New Groove: The New Groove Edition! There's something for everyone in this hip, funny movie with its dynamo cast, distinctive style, and great music -- featuring the Academy Award-nominated song, "My Funny Friend And Me" (2000, Best Original Song).
Emperor Kuzco (voiced by David Spade) is turned into a llama by his devious advisor, Yzma (Eartha Kitt), and her hunky henchman, Kronk (Patrick Warburton). Now the ruler who once had it all must form an unlikely alliance with a pleasant peasant named Pacha (John Goodman).
Together, they must overcome their differences as they embark on a hilarious, "groovy" adventure. Discovering the good in everyone has never been this much fun! Your whole family will enjoy this comic delight again and again.
Kuzco (David Spade) is the young, arrogant emperor of a vast kingdom. For his entire life, he has always had everything his own way. When his adviser, Yzma (Eartha Kitt), decides to usurp his power for herself, she has her servant Kronk (Patrick Warburton) poison Kuzco--but something goes wrong, and instead of dying, Kuzco is transformed into a talking llama. The former emperor winds up in the company of Pacha (John Goodman), a simple peasant just evicted from his land by Kuzco's plans for a new summer home. Pacha and Kuzco grudgingly agree to work together to restore Kuzco to his throne--and back to human form--but a series of wacky misadventures and the schemes of Yzma ensure that their journey will be a treacherous one. With The Emperor's New Groove, Disney takes a break from the more serious, epic dramas of recent years in order to focus on nonstop comedy and slapstick dialogue. ."
Cast: David Spade, Eartha Kitt, John Goodman, Wendie Malick / Director: Mark Dindal
Emperors New Groove Pictures and Wallpapers:
Prices and where to buy it:
You can buy the DVD Emperors New Groove at Amazon.com
Critic Quotes and Reviews:
- New York Times "...The goofiest, giddiest and, yes, grooviest animated trip since ALADDIN unbottled its genie..." -- 3 out of 4 stars 12/15/2000 p.6E
- Entertainment Weekly "...Disney pros ditch the regulation Disney animated-musical formula and everyone has a great time in this hip, funny [movie]..." -- Rating: B 01/12/2001 p.58
- Box Office "...Genuinely a new groove with a humorous, feel-good twist..." 02/01/2001 p.67
- Total Film "...A side-splicingly sharp, bruisingly funny buddy movie, The Emperor's New Groove is slick anitainment....A real joy..." -- 4 out of 5 stars 03/01/2001 p.94
- Sight and Sound "...Imaginative incorporation of Inca design aspects....[Spade delivers] hilarious put downs..." 03/01/2001 p.47-8
- Los Angeles Times "...The Emperor's New Groove is a delightful, effervescent morality tale for children conveyed with such wit and sophistication that adults are likely to be enchanted as well..." 12/15/2000 p.C8
- Chicago Sun-Times "...A zany tonic....[It] is a reminder that the classic cartoon look is a beloved style of its own..." 12/15/2000 p.34
- James Berardinelli's ReelViews 8 of 10 ...The screenplay offers plenty to laugh at for kids and adults. There's slapstick, self-mocking and self-referential humor, and amusing one-liners. This is the first family film in a while where I haven't at least briefly wished I was somewhere else than sitting in the theater. - James Berardinelli
- Chicago Sun-Times 8 of 10 ...When the Looney Tunes trademark came on the screen at the kiddie matinee of long ago, the kiddies would cheer in unison because they knew they were going to have unmitigated fun. The Emperor's New Groove evokes the same kind of spirit. - Roger Ebert
Format: DVD, Widescreen
Genre: Animation, Adventure, Comedy, Family, Fantasy
Runtime: 77 minutes
Screen Aspect: Widescreen 1.66:1
Sound Quality: English (Dolby Digital 5.1), English (DTS 5.1), French
Media Quantity: 1 DVD Disc
Other Information and Links:
Studio: Walt Disney Home Entertainment / Buena Vista
Theatrical Release Date: 2000
DVD Release Date: October 18, 2005
- Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1), English (DTS 5.1), French
- Commentary by: the filmmakers
- Deleted Scenes
- The Emperor's Got Game -- Help Kuzco Get From Pacha's House Back To The Castle
- Rascal Flatts Music Video -- Learn To "Walk The Llama Llama" As Featured On The Emperor's New Groove Soundtrack
- Sting's Making The Music Video -- Featuring The Academy Award®–Nominated Song "My Funny Friend And Me"
- Behind The Scenes -- A Fast-Paced Tour Of How The Film Was Made
Featuring a series of hilarious stunts and a quick, lighthearted pace, The Emperor's New Groove is a bubbly pleasure for viewers of all ages. The film also features Sting's Oscar-nominated song "My Funny Friend and Me