DVD Movie Review: Space Jam
His Airness and His Hareness: What a team! Michael Jordan slams, Bugs Bunny jams and a cavalcade of Looney Tunes stars hoop it up in Space Jam, the rim-rattlin' animated/live-action roundball romp from Hollywood talents who refuse to let their imaginations be earthbound.
The jokes fly and the fun never stops as the Tune Squad takes on the Nerlucks in a hardcourt game to decide if the Looney Tunes remain hereor become attractions at afar-off galactic off-ramp called Moron Mountain. The Nerlucks have a monstrous secret weapon on their side: theyve stolen the skills of NBA Stars like Charles Barkley and Patrick Ewing and become Monstars. But thats not all folks. The Tune Squad also has a secret weapon. And he just happens to be the finest player in this or any other universe. Hes outta this world. Sos the fun.
"Space Jam" marks the film debut of basketball legend Michael Jordan, who plays himself opposite some rather "colorful" co-stars...| When the Looney Tunes bunch are kidnapped to another planet by the dastardly Swackhammer, Bugs Bunny challenges them to a basketball game to win their freedom. But when the hulking opposing team, the Monstars, sap the talent from such popular hoopsters as Patrick Ewing and Charles Barkley, the Looney Tuners realize they're in deep trouble. In response, they enlist the aid of Michael Jordan, who trains and later joins the squad.| It's gonna be a wild 'n wacky, high flyin', slam-dunk of a game -- with everything at stake for Bugs and company. Can "Air" Jordan lead them to a victory?|
Cast: Michael Jordan, Bill Murray,
Director: Joe Pytka
Prices and where to buy it:
You can buy the DVD Space Jam at Amazon.com
Critic Quotes and Reviews:
- Variety "...Cute, rambunctious....[A] clever mix of live action, highlighted by the unequaled skills of basketball superstar Michael Jordan..." 11/18/1996
- Los Angeles Times "...Handsome, ingenious....Director Joe Pytka brings maximum impact and pace to every moment..." 11/15/1996 p.F1
- Chicago Sun-Times "...SPACE JAM is a happy marriage of good ideas -- three films for the price of one..." 11/15/1996 p.35
- Leonard Maltin's Movie & Video Guide 7 of 10 (Michael) Jordan is very engaging, the vintage characters perform admirably...and the computer-generated special effects are a collective knockout.
- Chicago Sun-Times 7 of 10 Space Jam is a happy marriage of good ideas--three films for the price of one, giving us a comic treatment of the career adventures of Michael Jordan, crossed with a Looney Tunes cartoon and some showbiz warfare... the result is delightful, a family movie in the best sense (which means the adults will enjoy it, too). - Roger Ebert
- Variety 6 of 10 Cute, rambunctious, generally amusing rather than outright funny, this clever mix of live action...and animated Looney Toons antics will be a must-see for kids... - Todd McCarthy
Format: DVD, 1.33:1 [4:3]
Genre: Animation / Cartoons / Family / Kids
Runtime: 88 minutes
Screen Aspect: 1.33:1 [4:3]
Sound Quality: English, French, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, Spanish, French
Media Quantity: 1 or 2 DVD Discs
Other Information and Links:
Studio: Warner Bros.
Theatrical Release Date: 1996
DVD Release Date: 8/9/2005
Threatened with being kidnapped and taken to Moron Mountain by the Nerdlucks, Bugs Bunny and the Looney Tunes characters propose a winner-take-all basketball game. Confident that their ringer, NBA mega-star Michael Jordan, will ensure their victory, Bugs & Co. are surprised with their foes' ability to "absorb" talent from other earth-bound hoops stars. A live-action/animated comic adventure.
- Production Notes
- DVD-ROM PC Features
- R. Kelly's "I Believe I Can Fly" Music Video
- "Monstars Anthem" Music Video
- Scene Access
- Commentary by Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck and Joe Pytka
- Theatrical Trailer
- Seal's "Fly Like An Eagle" Music Video